Whether it is navigating entry and operations in the US market, capital gains planning, mitigating withholding from customers, efficiently repatriating profits to Canada, or ensuring sales tax compliance, Welch can help you navigate this economic nexus. We will work with you to integrate the Canadian and US structure, making sure your company is compliant in your sales and income tax to safeguarding an efficient exit down the road.
There are a number of SR&ED and government support programs for which your manufacturing business may qualify. Our methodology will help you find a support program to give you the ability to pursue projects that you may not otherwise have been able to pursue due to R&D funding and capital access.
Welch has a cohesive team that maximizes continuity on engagements and eliminates the redundancy of repeating requests, processes and clarifications. When you speak with one of our team members, the whole team stays on the same page. Having close-knit staff with familiarity in each other’s skill and knowledge, Welch can identify areas of opportunity for your business, and can bring in an expert as needed.
If you are thinking about, or are currently, conducting business beyond the North American borders, Welch is connected with like-minded firms that provide the same level of service on international topics. Navigating employment tax agreements with international hires are one of many complexities that we will help you through.
Investing in your success goes beyond compliance work. Our proactive team is adept in numerous in-house services that focuses on more than compliance. We fix the fees to the work, so we can have those imperative one-off conversations about the holistic view of your business at no extra cost.
What Welch Can Do For You
Accounting & Tax
Assurance & Accounting
- Audits, review engagements, notice to reader/compilations
- Public and private company audits
- US GAAP and IFRS
- Financial forecasting & advisory
- Corporate tax
- Strategic tax diagnostic & planning
- Transactional planning
- Capital/GST & HST/ QST, VAT, payroll taxes
- US tax, cross border, state and local tax
- International tax planning
- Expatriate tax - personal tax for non-residents working abroad
- Shareholder tax planning, trust & estates, personal tax for business owner
Back Office Services
- Cloud bookkeeping with Elevate by Welch LLP
- Bookkeeping and payroll services tailored to your needs
- Prep of income tax, HST returns & other regulatory filings
- Design, implement & prepare Management Reports
- Investor and bank reportin
- Support with banking, financing and investor relationships
- Financial forecasts, planning & budgeting
SR&ED & Other Tax Credits
- SR&ED - software, manufacturing, hardware, hi-tech, semi-conductor, medical devices, shop floor and telecommunications
- Other - Multi-media (federal and provincial), Apprenticeship, Sustainability and more
- OIDMTC Ontario Interactive Digital Media Tax Credit
Advisory | M&A
- Support with corporate transactions (private financing, buy and sell, M&A, public financing)
- Implications of 3rd party investments
Internal Control Advisory & IPO Readiness & Support
- Internal control advisory(SOX, 52-109, etc.)
- Temporary staff assignment
- Accounting conversion support
- Financial statement & external audit preparation support
- Corporate governance (audit committee charters)
Meet Our Team Leaders
Matt Mersereau, CPA, CA
Matt has over 20 years of experience in providing assurance and business advisory services to owner managed businesses, specializing in the manufacturing industry. Matt leverages his extensive experience to help provide innovative solutions to his clients, to enhance their ability to grow and navigate the ever evolving tax and financial reporting landscape.
Zoran Vranjkovic, CPA, CA
Zoran is a tax specialist, with a focus on providing tax and estate planning to business owners, high net worth individuals and their families. His expertise includes trust and estate planning, implementing tax minimization strategies, corporate reorganizations and structuring purchase and sale transactions.
Alan Tippett, CPA (Indiana)
Director of U.S. Tax Advisory
Alan is the Director of US and Cross-Border Tax Services in the Ottawa office where he leads the US Tax compliance and advisory team. His public accounting experience has been focused on providing US and Cross-Border tax services to corporations, partnerships, and individuals. Alan formerly worked at a large accounting firm in Indianapolis, Indiana, before relocating to Ottawa. Alan is both a CPA and a lawyer.MORE ABOUT U.S. TAX
Joshua Smith, CPA, CA
Joshua Smith is the partner who leads the business incentives practice at Welch LLP, a group focused on maximizing cash flows for clients through the use of Scientific Research and Experimental Development, Ontario Interactive Digital Media and other tax credit claims as well as other business incentives.MORE ABOUT SR&ED
Hear from Our Clients
Fergus B. Groundwater
Pegen Industries Inc.
“We sought a higher level of service and value-add compared to one of the Big 4 firms with which we worked previously. Welch was our first choice based on past experiences and recommendations from other similar sized firms. From the outset of the relationship, we feel that our business is much more valued and that understanding our needs, safeguarding our interests, and delivering solutions represent key priorities for Welch. We are exceptionally pleased with the decision to move our business to Welch as we receive far superior responsiveness and value-add than we initially envisioned. Welch is a true financial partner to Pegen.”
Founder and CEO
Battleshield Industries Limited
“Battleshield Industries Limited has been with Welch for almost a year. All we can say is what phenomenal level of service we are receiving for our growing manufacturing company. It is an immense pleasure to work with Matt and his knowledgeable team. We feel very taken care of, with timely advice and invaluable expertise. Their fees are very reasonable, no surprises, a peace of mind. Welch was highly recommended to us and in return, we recommend Welch for anyone who is looking for a reliable and trusted partner. ”