Welch LLP presented with a replica of the Lord Stanley’s Memorial Monument

Welch LLP presented with a replica of the Lord Stanley's Memorial Monument

Welch LLP was presented a replica of the Lord Stanley’s Memorial Monument located at the east end of Sparks St. in Ottawa. The monument is intended to honour Lord Stanley’s gift in 1892 of a silver bowl to be awarded annually to the hockey champion of our dominion (Canada). Over the 125 years since, this trophy has morphed into the Stanley Cup that is won each year by the champion of the NHL.

The Lord Stanley’s Memorial Monument Inc. was the vision of the Late Paul Kitchen aptly described in his 2008 book “Win, Tie, od Wrangle” about the old Ottawa Senators 1883-1935. Charlie Logue, a former Welch LLP Partner, was a founding member of the committee working closely with Paul to establish the best site, liaise with important public figures and to seek the necessary funding. This effort all began in 2009.

With the encouragement of Micheal Burch, Bill Irwin, a former partner and associate at Welch LLP, succeeded Charlie as the committee’s financial person shortly after he passed away in 2013. Funding was achieved by 2015 and George Hunter stepped up as president carrying the role presently.

Welch LLP has been providing meeting space along with the technology to work closely with our out of town board members and administrative support. In addition, Welch LLP was responsible for all the financial reports to each board member keeping them aware of the decisions taken and the corresponding financial impact compared with the budget.

The board and management committee of Lord Stanley’s Memorial Monument Inc. was always appreciative of the ongoing support of Welch LLP through the whole journey and wanted to recognize that in a modest way.