Location: Ottawa, Ontario – Category: Full-time, Permanent
Welch LLP is a leading full-service public accounting firm with a rich and tenured history. Established in Ottawa almost 100 years ago, Welch has evolved from a single office to become the largest locally- owned and operated firm in the region, with 12 offices and over 200 people across Ontario and Western Quebec. Welch LLP ranks as the 14th largest accounting firm in Canada.
This growth didn’t come by accident, nor should it come as a surprise… with a full suite of professional services, ranging from traditional assurance to expert business advisory, our clients respect and value the firm’s expertise and commitment to exceptional service. Welch’s clientele is as varied as the economic landscape, ranging from start-ups to large, multi-divisional privately-held companies, not-for- profit organizations and public sector entities.
Welch LLP is currently looking for a Senior Staff Accountant to take on increasingly important audit and accounting roles on client files in a variety of industries and business sectors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and execute client assurance engagements while providing exceptional client service under varying reporting frameworks
- Plan and execute fieldwork assignments, including managing budget and resource needs
- Analyze and review client prepared financial statements, reports, and filings
- Supervise and mentor junior staff
- Maximize engagement profitability by ensuring recovery rates on jobs are maintained at or above firm standards. Where recovery rates on jobs are below firm standards, work with the staff to ensure all aspects of the engagement are operating effectively and efficiently
- Prepare corporate tax returns
- Participate in income tax and indirect tax planning and consulting
- Think strategically about client needs by understanding their business in order to serve as a trusted business advisor
- Anticipate technical issues to avoid crises and where required, develop sound solutions
- Involve appropriate firm personnel to ensure all aspects associated with the work have been properly addressed
- Demonstrate technical competence in practice discipline, serve as a technical resource for staff, and provide suggestions for resolving technical issues.
- CPA, CA designation obtained or close to completion.
- A minimum completion of 2 years of public accounting experience
- Experience with Caseware and TaxPrep
- Ability to effectively plan, organize and control engagements
- Strong understanding of a client-focused environment including related deadlines and the ability to work to meet those deadlines
- Demonstrated initiative, and willingness and ability to accept responsibility
- Aptitude for dealing with people in a respectful manner
- Ability to work under pressure, decisiveness, good judgment and common sense
- Ability to recognize and analyze problems, propose sound alternatives and conclusions
- Ability to develop and maintain good relationships with clients
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
If you are interested in a great career opportunity with a growing, flexible and dynamic organization, please apply by sending your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Senior Staff Accountant”
Welch LLP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.