Location: Cornwall, Ontario • Category: Full-time, permanent
Welch LLP is a leading full-service public accounting firm with a rich and tenured history. Established in Ottawa almost 100 years ago, Welch has evolved from a single office to become the largest locally- owned and operated firm in the region, with 12 offices and over 200 people across Ontario and Western Quebec. Welch LLP ranks as the 14th largest accounting firm in Canada.
This growth didn’t come by accident, nor should it come as a surprise… with a full suite of professional services, ranging from traditional assurance to expert business advisory, our clients respect and value the firm’s expertise and commitment to exceptional service. Welch’s clientele is as varied as the economic landscape, ranging from start-ups to large, multi-divisional privately-held companies, not-for- profit organizations and public sector entities.
Welch LLP is currently looking for experienced Staff Accountants and Senior Staff Accountants whose primary tasks will include preparing notice to reader engagements, participating in audits, and preparing personal and corporate tax returns. Various start dates in 2021 are available – please indicate your preference in your cover letter.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist supervisor with the preparation of various assurance engagement files which would include audits and reviews.
- Prepare compilation engagement working paper files.
- Prepare basic financial statements as part of the working paper files.
- Prepare basic corporate tax returns.
- Prepare personal tax returns.
- Summarize client financial information in accounting packages or spreadsheets.
Senior Staff Accountant
- Lead and execute client assurance engagements while providing exceptional client service under varying reporting frameworks.
- Plan and execute fieldwork assignments, including managing budget and resource needs.
- Analyze and review client prepared financial statements, reports, and filings.
- Supervise and mentor junior staff.
- Maximize engagement profitability by ensuring recovery rates on jobs are maintained at or above firm standards. Where recovery rates on jobs are below firm standards, work with the staff to ensure all aspects of the engagement are operating effectively and efficiently.
- Prepare corporate tax returns.
- Participate in income tax and indirect tax planning and consulting.
- Think strategically about client needs by understanding their business in order to serve as a trusted business advisor.
- Anticipate technical issues to avoid crises and where required, develop sound solutions.
- Involve appropriate firm personnel to ensure all aspects associated with the work have been properly addressed.
- Demonstrate technical competence in practice discipline, serve as a technical resource for staff, and provide suggestions for resolving technical issues.
- Minimum completion of a University degree with a specialization in Accounting
- Previous experience in a similar role in public accounting is required
- Experience using Caseware or TaxPrep is considered a strong asset
- Working towards fulfilling the experience requirements required for the CPA designation
- Excellent communication skills in English; bilingualism (English and French) is a strong asset
- Strong knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
If you are interested in a great career opportunity with a growing, flexible and dynamic organization, please apply by sending your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject line “Staff Accountant/Senior Staff Accountant”.
Welch LLP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Reasonable accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.